Supporting Parents Through Miscarriage & Loss
What is a Bereavement Doula?
A Bereavement Doula supports parents who are currently experiencing or who have experienced the loss of a baby during any stage of gestation or following birth. This sensitive service may include practical support, birth support or companionship during a time which is often compacted by many emotions.
What does a bereavement doula do?
- Supports families through pregnancy loss at home or in hospital
- Supports families as they attend medical procedures in hospital
- Supports parents through a difficult diagnosis and assists them in gaining information about the diagnosis
- Supports families as they prepare for the birth of a baby who has already passed or is not expected to survive once outside the womb
- Helps families acknowledge and celebrate the birth of their baby and in creating memories and keepsakes
- Supports families of babies who are in the NICU
- Supports families as they say good bye to their baby and make farewell arrangements
- Helps and supports families as they grieve and makes referrals for professional supports when needed