Protein is an important part of any well-balanced diet. During pregnancy and breastfeeding our bodies need extra protein to support and nourish our growing babies! This week's guest post is written by the lovely Valerie Conway and is not only packed with protein but absolutely delicious!
Come on vegans, vegetarians, gluten-free folks- this is a recipe you can enjoy too!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp chia or flax seeds
- Pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
- Soak the pitted dates in hot water for approx 10 minutes to soften.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until well combined.
- Take a spoon of mixture and roll in your hands to form a ball.
- Continue until all the mixture is used.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 12-16 protein balls, depending on size. These can be eaten as is or you can roll in different toppings to add variety. In the picture far left is dessicated coconut. Next is plain, then blended goji berries, and finally pistachio and freeze dried raspberry. These are great for an on the go snack, or to sit and savor with a cup of your favourite brew.
*raw, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian *contains nuts
Valerie is a mum of two, Zoe who is almost 21 and Ziggy 8 months old. She is passionate about healthy food, sustainable living, Volkswagen camper vans and natural parenting. You can follow her escapades and recipes on Instagram @valerieconway