No blog post this week but here is a recipe for tasty banana oat muffins! These are great warm out of the oven with a cup of coffee or tea! I'm saving one to have with my breakfast tomorrow morning! Alternatively, you could make these during pregnancy and freeze them for a no-hassle treat after baby arrives! This recipe is vegan AND gluten free (thanks food allergies!) but it's easily adaptable- just use regular flour, milk and eggs! Read below and you will see for yourself! Enjoy!
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (on a stovetop or a few seconds at a time in the microwave)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, honey or coconut nectar syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)- or two medium eggs!
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk (or regular milk if you're not allergic to milk like me)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour mix (Aldi brand is what I used)
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Coat a standard, 12-muffin pan with oil or (vegan) butter- or use muffin cases!
- Peel bananas and add to a medium or large mixing bowl. Using a whisk or fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup (or honey/coconut nectar), sugar, flax eggs (premade), milk of choice and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Do not overmix, as doing so will result in hard muffins.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Optional: sprinkle muffin tops with oats and a touch of sugar.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Lift out, eat and enjoy!