Caroline of Eatwise shares a healthy fish pie option!
I love this recipe – adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe but with a lower calorie slant using lots of lovely spinach, potato and less fat! Great for making earlier in the day for a relaxed dinner. It can also be frozen for use after baby arrives!
500g fish fillets/fish pie mix cut into chunks (eg Cod, hake, salmon, smoked haddock,
600g frozen leaf spinach, defrosted (can be done in microwave) and drained or use OR 500g fresh spinach, steamed
400g potato, (4 medium potatoes, peeled and
cut into halves)
2 large eggs
1 med onion, peeled and chopped
1⁄2 a leek, finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
150ml low fat milk
150g low fat soft cheese (eg Philadelphia Light)
1⁄2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of half a lemon (1 tbsp)
70g low fat cheddar
1. Put potatoes and eggs into cold water to boil. Preheat oven to 190° C
2. Squeeze excess water from defrosted or cooked fresh spinach and spread over base of an ovenproof dish
3. Remove eggs after 10 minutes, cool under cold tap, peel and quarter
4. Drain potatoes when cooked and leave in covered pan
5. Sauté leek in a little oil until it has softened
6. Spread fish chunks, leeks and egg quarters over spinach and season with a little salt and black pepper
7. Grate low fat cheddar and sprinkle half of it over fish mixture
8. Heat olive oil in a pan, add onion and fry for a few minutes. Stir in milk and low fat soft cheese, whisk until smooth, add mustard and lemon juice. Pour over spinach, egg and fish mixture reserving about 4tbsp to add to potato
9. Mash potato, add reserved liquid and spread over fish pie using a fork.
10.Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over potato. Bake for 35-40 minutes, check if cooked by inserting a knife into the middle and ensuring it comes out piping hot. Serve with green salad.
To learn more about Caroline, Eatwise and to see more recipes, please see her website here.